Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dig This!! or Don't??? I guess........


Everyone around the 283 Salem household found this pretty amusing.  "I dig it"  proclaimed Wigwam with glee.  "Why the fuck didn't I think of that?" Wolfgang muttered.  I, Treymor Blames aka Trev Trev aka Meticulous Curl, LOLed with joyous enthusiasm, and even our roommate of African decent Che Aimee  said "Oh, boys will be boys" and sighed with a gutteral chuckle.  None of us seemed to be the least bit offended....even by the black dude, who I find gives the most racist portrayal of them all.  However, I was surprised by all the kerfuffle these guys created.  They managed to score national headlining attention in The Globe and Mail even!  WTF?!   Perhaps, I'm ignorant and insensitive OR perhaps I represent the shifting consciousness of a new generation of postmodern (I just needed to throw that word in here somehow) liberal minded people who know longer see race as being an issue of extreme sensitivity and instead find space for comment and critique - which includes humor (see Dave Chappelle).    HOWEVER, I doubt thats what these bros we're trying to suggest, but you know........
Here's what others are saying: 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/apology-sought-after-u-of-t-students-cause-uproar-with-blackface-for-halloween/article1358842/

http://torontoist.com/2009/10/nightmare_at_nightmare_on_peter_street.php

http://media.www.thestrand.ca/media/storage/paper404/news/2009/11/10/Editorial/Student.Groups.Face.Off.On.Blackface-3827663.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment